Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Silly little smiley moments

You know how in movies set in some city, i.e. You've Got Mail, there's always a shot of Meg Ryan or (insert Hollywood actress here), walking down the busy streets of (insert city's name here), on a bright sunny morning, holding a cup of (insert coffee shop of choice) coffee on one hand and the day's paper on the other, wearing a nice, brand spankin' new (insert designer garment of choice), bobbing her head from side to side, with a silly little smile on her face, as she gaits happily throughout the scene. Bouncy background music optional.

When I first moved here to Singapore, I was actually thrilled to have the chance to live out my Meg Ryan-in-the-city fantasy. I could just imagine myself walking down Orchard Road, on a busy Monday morning, wearing the exact same outfit and smile that she did in the movie. Hence, I set off to re-enact the scene the first opportunity that I had. Boy, it sure played out differently from what I expected. Have you ever tried walking down Orchard Road during the rush hour?? Just having to get through the throngs of sullen-looking people is torture enough, but add to that the trouble of having to shoo away, and in some cases, run away from the pesky promoters who try to sell you everything from eyebrow tweezing services to credit cards. Add to that the trouble of having to balance your scalding hot cup of coffee with everything else you have to hold on to. And when that hyperactive little kid bumps into you, you then get so lucky as to wear the coffee all over your shirt and everything else that you're holding on to. Throw in the occasional strange old uncle who has nothing better to do than to throw cat calls at passers by. If you can happily gait through all of that, I salute you.

More than that though, it made me feel empty, walking through all that. Despite the three different shopping bags that I constantly held, I felt that Orchard had lost its magic for me. It was no longer special, just something that I had to go through to get things done. And despite efforts on my very best day, I couldn't find it in me to muster a silly little smile.

Which is why I found it such a surprise today that I was actually able to live out the fantasy unexpectedly, walking through Collyer Quay in the afternoon and along NUS at night. Looking around at how the wind blew leaves off the trees and my hair into my face (haha), I didn't even have to muster a smile because it came so naturally. And to be able to finally get that moment is quite rewarding, I must say.

I guess it's true, good things come when you expect them to. I'm so glad to have changed my outlook this year. I have a feeling more Meg Ryan moments will be coming my way :)

No comments: